2013 Kia Soul
Published September 16, 2012
In 2010 we were treated to the most fun from a TV car commercial in years. Yes – KIA Soul and the hamsters! Then and now, I will certainly take them over “Chevy runs deep” and Derek Jeter’s Fords – every day. Not only because they are fun, unique, and upbeat, but also because – in this case – the advertisement is true: the product matches the commercial. The KIA Soul delivers.
The Soul delivers on many levels…here’s a walk-around of the base model…
- Performance:1.6L engine with 4 in-line cylinders that give you 138 hp and 123 ft. lbs. of torque; A 6-speed manual transmission with overdrive; 27 city and 35 hwy gas mileage; front-wheel drive with rack and pinion steering and electric power steering
- Safety: dual front advanced airbags and seat-mounted side airbags, as well as full-length side curtain airbags
- Technology: 4-speaker audio system with AM, FM, CD, MP3, and Sirius XM; BLUETOOTH Wireless Technology with hands-free connectivity and steering wheel-mounted controls; USB auxiliary input jacks; and, active Eco system
- Price: 2013 models under $14,500.00
- And, Fun: Eye-catching body design and style; cool colors (I see the Alien green around a lot!); small enough for in-traffic driving and downtown parking; big enough to enjoy with friends
If you want more, have no fear. KIA has you covered by offering two additional model options, the Soul+ and the Soul! Here, the amenities just continue to impress: 2.0L engine, 18’s (Soul!), and premium UVO Infotainment system powered by Microsoft (Soul!), to name only a few. Do not forget the Soul received the 2012 J.D. Power and Associates award for “highest ranked compact multi-purpose vehicle in initial quality.” Hard to beat a car that is both inexpensive to buy and remains inexpensive to own.
The Soul is quite aptly designed and marketed to win over the 18 to 30-something car buyers. I mean, what age can you be if you are old enough to drive and still think hamsters are cool? But, added bonuses are the upcoming 13 and 14 year olds – starting to recognize what might be on the horizon for them. Seriously, are they interested in the types of cars their parents drive? Given their choice, I bet they point to fun and hip (especially with hamsters) before anything else. That would be the KIA Soul. I know of one Dad needing to replace his Jeep Liberty soon. He is thinking of the Soul, so that his 13 year old son has something cool to drive in a few years. (In the meantime, Dad has something cool to drive!) So, the Soul is not only a better choice than the Scion xB or Nissan Cube, but also the Jeep Liberty (or, whatever Dad is driving right now.)
Therefore, the hip-hop hamsters have become sort of modern day hip automotive prophets. Back in 2010, they laid out for us the right car question to ponder (http://www.kia.com): “You can go with this, or you can go with that.” If youth is to be served, then I think they have chosen wisely: you can go with this – the KIA Soul. Fun, economical, inexpensive – and hamsters!
Categories: Production Cars