Five Great Ways to Accessorize Your Car on a Budget
Updated September 28, 2013
Whether modifying a car for your own satisfaction, or fixing it up for resale, there are many different ways to add some value to your set of wheels. It can be tough to figure out which car accessories will end up making good investments, and which won’t. With so many factors to take into consideration, these tips will hopefully help you make a more informed decision.
1. First and foremost, no matter what type of car accessories you’re considering, search for Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) car parts. Typically, when using anything that’s not OEM, you face the risk of having a very unpredictable car accessory for both quality and overall lifespan. So, whenever possible, always give precedence to Original Equipment Manufacturer car parts.
With some types of accessories, however, the manufacturer may not specifically make the product. However, in many cases, you can still find that they offer valuable suggestions on upgrades and specific accessories.
2. Sound systems – Adding a new audio system or upgrading the present audio system is a great way to add value to a vehicle. Top-of-the-line sound systems typically have features like Dolby Digital Surround Sound and DTS Digital Surround Sound. Other options include added compatibility for iPods and other audio devices. Generally, the more options there are for compatibility, the better.
3. Remote systems – This includes remote keyless entry as well as remote startup kits. Also consider a security system with remote control and monitoring features. With these options, drivers can lock or unlock the car electronically and they can also start and warm-up the car from a remote location.
4. Navigation systems – There are many affordable GPS navigation systems, with a variety of options, that car owners can typically be installed quite easily. In fact, many GPS navigation products are portable and the driver can take them along when they leave the car, should they need walking directions.
5. Security systems – If the car does not already have a security system, then this option can make a great addition. There is a wide variety of security systems with many different features and associated costs. Generally, the more basic systems will consist of a standard detection device along with an alarm to scare off possible intruders. More advanced systems may prevent the vehicle from starting and have options to alert the owner during an intrusion or attempted intrusion. Getting a security system is a great way to increase the value of your car, while also protecting it.
Whatever the year and make of your car, as long as you do a little research and create a budget, you will have a much better idea of what car accessories you should get. It might help to have some knowledge about auto mechanics but, overall, fixing up a car can be done the same way you budget for everything else. First, do some research and create a budget for yourself, and then decide how much time & risk you’re willing to put in.
As an author, Jordan McPelt writes about various subject matters, including GM Parts, accessories, and much more. If it has wheels and moves, chances are that you’ve got Jordan’s attention.
Categories: Gear Grinding